Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I was getting Hatcher settled in bed tonight, got his cords out and went over to the sink to get his sippy cup. When I turned around he had put his own leads on and even in the right spots! You always make me laugh my little man!
Rachel we are so happy you got to go home today! We wish only the best for you and know we will always be friends! Getting to know you and your family has been such a blessing!

The only sad thing about pet therapy is when it is over!

This is Joey. Hatcher spent the entire time with this dog. Feed him treats and he even got to take him on a walk. He was so proud of himself and couldn't get enough of him.

I love how this shows Hatcher's big bald spot from his bed soar, too cute!

How sweet is this? I will have to get this picture to Joeys owner!





When I put Hatcher to bed tonight I was overwhelmed with such an intense love I can hardly describe it. The plan is to head to the apartment tomorrow and be there for a week or 2 ... I know I shouldn't have even said it, but this time I really feel like it is time to go. We got all the instructions for at home today which took up the entire day ... and yes, I am overwhelmed! In a good way. I would much rather be at home doing this all day than in the hospital. First we got set up with the vest system that we will use at home. Then meds, labs, ekg, echo, x-ray and don't forget all those breathing treatments! We also meet with the in-home pharmacy and learned how to mix all of Hatcher's meds .... namely the tPA. The tPA is only good for 8 hours at a time, so it will be a full time job constituting it everyday. I watched first, then had to do it ... I did OK, but think it will take me a while to get the hang of things and using the needles. We also got the nebulizer and sat monitor for home along with oxygen. Tomorrow we will have some more instruction on the other at home neb meds. We have been doing this in the hospital for a month now, so I feel somewhat prepared, it will just be getting used to the new equipment. We know that this is serious and right now Hatcher has to have the tPA 4 times a day in order to keep his airway clear. I wish there was more options for him but if we get more time, even if we can't go anywhere, that is all we can ask for. Because tPA has only been used a few times for plastic bronchitis the side effects are really unknown and we are not sure how long he will be able to stay on this 4 times daily regimen. Things that have been discussed if he continues to have problems are to take down the fontan and go back to glen physiology which is not a guarantee that the plastic will go away, and then what in a few years? The other is a transplant which also has no guarantees that it will cure the plastic bronchitis, so it definitely feels right to just give it some more time. The plan is to take him home on the tPA and pray that it keeps the cast away or at least mobilized! My hopes are that somehow his body will be able to learn to adapt and live with it. Hatcher's airway is smaller than the size of a straw so you can imagine how easily one of these casts could block it. I hate watching him struggle for breath getting them out. With that being said, I have never seen him more full of life. What a trooper he has been through all of this and some how seems to understand that this is just what he has to do. It's bitter sweet tonight tucking him in. Every night I have been able to have the sweetest talks with him. Just the two of us. When we are in the hospital the world stops and only the things that matter take up our time. The baby next to us has been crying ever since we got into bed. Hatcher was so worried about him and asked, "Mom, are they poking him?" I told him that he was probably just tired and wanted his mom. "Or he has a bad heart like me." I told him that was true, a bad heart can make you cry and we should add him in our prayers tonight. These tender moments are ones I hope I never forget. I pray that we will walk out those doors tomorrow and that we will live each moment better than the one before. To end my post tonight I want to thank all of our family and friends and even those who have adopted us over the past few months. The outpouring of support from so many has been a complete blessing. It seems like every time we face a road block or stress, the mail comes with an unexpected check, gift card, uplifting note, goodies, phone call and most of all love. There has been so many times our prayers have been answered through the kindness of others. I have not gotten the chance to sit down and write thank yous yet, so until then .... THANK YOU all for helping us through this journey. I have so much faith and hope and know that it is because so many are lifting us, we can feel it daily.

6 comments:

  1. Yay!!! We are so excited for you guys! You will do great, you are an amazing mommy nurse!! We hope your day goes great today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great news that you get to go to the condo! We are continually praying for you all. Brit you will do great with everything, I just know it. You are such a good Mama and good mamas do what they have to to help their kids. We love you all so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so happy that you are going home! (at least to the apartment). You never knew you were going to be a nurse did you Britt? If anyone can do it, it's you.
    I heard a story the other day of a woman who was diagnosed with Cancer, when a friend asked her what she wanted her to pray for, her response was, "pray that I don't miss the lesson." Britt I thought of you and thought not only have you not "missed the lesson" you have taught all of us some valuable lessons. Namely Love, tenderness, compassion, patience, hope, miracles, goodness, giving, and focusing on what is important in this life...and so many more. I am so so happy and thankful Hatcher gets to go home, but I am also thankful for the lessons you have taught me through this journey. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEA! So happy for all of you. HMMMMMMM......I can totally see a puppy in your near future. Pictures of Hatcher with the therapy dog are so incredibly cute! Take care and love ya always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Youre going to be an amazing mommy-nurse :) I'm sure hatcher will milk it and love all the lovin coming his way. So happy you guys get to return to the apartment and have thing seem a little more normal! But you know you're getting a puppy now right?! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying and hoping ALL is going well in the apartment. Playing pharmacist and nurse can definitely be a full time job for a heart mom but worth every minute!!! Heavenly Father picked an amazing Mom and Dad for special Hatcher:) Hang in there!

    Hugs,
    Mason's Mommy

    ReplyDelete