Sunday, May 8, 2011

A special note

I have been wanting to sit down and write this for over a week now. We first meet Lisa, Shawn and baby Ethan weeks ago. They were one of those couples who were so sweet and always seemed to try to find the good in the situation. You become connected with families and here in the CV world become each others support system. It's refreshing to have others to lean on who know exactly what you are feeling. I can remember asking Lisa how old Ethan was the first time we meet and she told me 11 months, almost 1! How every mom looks forward to those mile stones, the first tooth, first steps and first birthday. So when we heard little Ethan had taken a turn for the worst another mom and I were able to escape and get balloons, a birthday cake, food, and surprise Ethan with his first un-birthday party. It was emotional as I watched the tears pour freely as we sang happy birthday. I'm sure it meant a lot to them, but I think it meant more to me. For a moment that day I forgot about how bad things were with Hatcher and his diagnosis of plastic bronchitis and only wanted to lighten their burden. Late that night little Ethan passed. As I went out of Hatcher's room I instantly knew what had happened. Lisa and Shawn, I am sure that night was incredibly hard for you but we wanted to thank you for sharing it with us. I will never forget kissing sweet Ethan on the head, tears in my eyes asking him to help Hatcher now. He looked so free from everything. Cozy in a blanket just as a baby should be. Lisa your strength that night is something I will never forget. There was a beautiful feeling in the room, you had done all you could do. I have thought in depth about life and death and when I went back to Hatcher's room that night I cried and cried. I felt the heart ache, but more than that I felt peace. You have forever touched my heart little Ethan, I know you will make one amazing angel! Lisa and Shawn, Canada is far but you will always remain in our hearts. Thank you for letting us be part of your journey, we love you.

5 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about you guys. Thank you for letting us be a part of YOUR journey. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man oh man does this "special note" tear at my heart strings! What an incredibly tender moment you were able to share with another family. I imagine the strain of this struggle(physical, emotional, etc.) to be intense, however, I also imagine you have grown in so many ways it is undescribable. We have all grown from you and your family's experience as well. We're still praying for miracles to come your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brit: we'd love to offer support - we are so close - can we come by? This is Jaimie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello guys - such a sweet story. Breaks my heart. Ethan is now a little angel for Hatcher. Stay strong like you have been. I look forward to reading the blog and so glad you have all the fun packages arriving, family support and friends down there. I'm so glad Jaxyn is there too! She's a doll. Sending prayers and big hugs from Pocatello. Love you guys! The Butterfield's

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brittany, Shaun and I both cried as we stumbled upon your post about us. Reading this has been so healing for our family. You will never know the impact you and Randy had on us during our time in CVICU. Your strength and optimism was such a source of support and comfort to us. Thank you for being there for us, and with us after Ethan passed away. I truly believe he is looking down on us and cheering Hatcher, Caleb and Sofia on. I need for you to know that words can never express how incredibly blessed we were to have met you and how meaningful Ethan's unbirthday was. He got a whole year of "firsts" thanks to you and Cathy. Our lives will never be the same without him, but he's in a better place. His time on earth may have been short, but he touched a lot of lives. We were so blessed to have met you and to have had the opportunity to draw on your strength. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete