Friday, April 8, 2011

Keep on Keepin on!

With dad in the toy room! This rice table was so much fun, I'm sure this is where he will be sending lots of time!
Walking to the play room.
Feeding the birds out on the ICU terrace.
Yum, he actually had a few bites of grilled cheese and a chocolate chip cookies!


Once again Hatcher has had an amazing day with lots of progress. It has been heart breaking seeing him in pain and so weak, but he just keeps on keepin on. Early this morning he once again threw-up, this kills me, it looks like it hurts so bad! After a 4 am x-ray we learned that the right upper lob in his lung had collapsed, ugh.... but they got him right back on high flow, did a bunch of RT and sure enough it looked better within a few hours. He also had to have his NG tube relocated, it was doing a full loop in his tummy. They had talked about moving us up to 3 west, but because of the lung they thought they better keep him in ICU ... until another baby was life flighted in emergently and they needed a bed. Hatcher having had a great day we felt ready to take the next step. It has been wonderful, we have our own room and it even has a place for me to get some sleep by him tonight! He had lunch out on the ICU terrace this afternoon and even feed the birds some bird seed. It's the most I've seen him smile since this all started. He also did some walking. I have to laugh because when I'm in charge we take one or two steps then get in the wagon. I went to shower this morning and when I came back they were telling me Randy had him doing a lap around the ICU unit! I guess its that cowboy in him that's makin him get back on the bull! He did walk to the play room with lots of help and mustered up enough energy to last about 20 min playing! So good to see him doing little boy stuff again. I have to pinch myself as he continues to amaze all of us, making giant leaps, way to go Hatcher!

A special thanks and good bye to my mom who has been here over 3 weeks! We sure love and appreciate all you have done to help us get through this journey. It was hard to see her go. Also thanks to Randy's parents for coming and helping so much as well, I hope Jaxyn will keep behaving herself back home! We are overwhelmed by all of the support we have gotten, it truly has lifted us and keeps us positive.

6 comments:

  1. WOW!!:) He looks absolutely wonderful!!:) I cannot believe how well he is doing!! He looks like that cute little Hatcher we all love and miss!!:) What a trooper!!:) He looks so happy to be out and about and playing!!:) What a wonderful day for all of you!! He is AMAZING!!:) Hugs and kisses!!:) We love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great post to read! So glad to hear he is progressing. He is a superman (cowboy) to my little boys as I tell them what he had to indure and look at him now!Hatcher your a hero to more than you even know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I just learned about your sweet Hatcher from Kevin and Lindsay Schiess. They are in our ward. I've just spent sometime trying to catch up on Hatcher's journey. What a darling little fighter you have. My prayers will be with you, Hatcher, and your family as he continues on his road to recovery. What a miracle these little heart children truly are!!! I must say if you're going to have a bumpy road....I'm sooooo glad you are at LPCH!!!

    My son Mason was born unexpectedly with HLHS on Nov 30 2007. Looks like he and Hatcher are just days apart. He had his first 2 OH surgeries at Primary's, but then had a heart transplant there at LPCH last year. We spent 5 months there in Palo Alto. I too love Dr. Reagan and all the other wonderful docs and nurses in the CVICU and on 3W. We got to know many of them very very well. I slept and ate there for 7 weeks straight!

    I wish I had heard about your family sooner, because Mason and I were just there March 21-25 for his 'almost' one year post transplant heart cath and biopsy. We could've met you!

    Take care!!!

    Mason's Mommy www.miraclemason.blogspot.com
    (you can read a brief summary of Mason's journey on the right side of our blog)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yay!!! It is so great to see Hatcher out and about - and again, improving so much!! We showed our kids Hatcher's owee (the pix you have of his stitches the length of his chest) and they couldn't believe it and wondered if that was why we were praying for Hatcher. I told them "yes, Hatcher had to have special doctors fix his sick heart and because he was so sick and had such a bad owee, it will take him some time to get feeling all better, but yes, that is why we are praying for him". Their eyes were huge as it seemed to finally sink in a bit more. Truly, Hatcher is a hero to many - he (as well as your whole family) has been so tough through all of this and we are just rooting him and you all on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I can't believe the miracles that are happening every day. I didn't read a couple of days and then, look at him go!!! Couldn't be happier! Love, Jaimie

    ReplyDelete
  6. So excited for you guys! Love to hear that he has a smile on his face. I laughed so hard about him walking all around with Randy and just a few steps with you. I can just hear Randy encouraging him to do it! Keep on going Hatcher we are so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete